"Federal officials say fallout from the government shutdown will not impact the food security of families already living on the edge. However... there are still thousands of federal employees who are furloughed or working without pay, which could make it difficult for them to put food on the table."
President Donald Trump's executive order adding work requirements for able-bodied food stamp recipients drew criticism from many in Ohio. "Taking essential benefits like food assistance away [will[ merely increase hunger," said Lisa Hamler-Fugitt, executive director for the Ohio Association of Foodbanks.
In a move that could kick thousands of Ohioans off of food stamps, the U.S. Department of Agriculture on Thursday proposed more stringent work requirements for letting able bodied adults without dependents get SNAP benefits. Ohio Association of Foodbanks executive director Lisa Hamler-Fugitt said almost every state, including Ohio, has waived work requirements at some point in areas of high unemployment.
"The final deal that was struck rejects the unnecessary new work obligations for adults to participate in SNAP. Critics attacked the proposal because they say food stamps are needed for people who are in poverty. One million or more households would potentially lose [SNAP] if the scrooge-like GOP plan were to be implemented."
"Despite an improving economy, our organization served almost the exact same number of people last year [as the previous year]. Things are not getting better. This is just becoming the new normal."
"Congress has pushed its vote on the Farm Bill until at least after the midterm elections in November. Much of the delay is over the work requirements that would allow some to either get money to buy food or not. Mary O'Shea, director of advocacy at the Greater Cleveland Food Bank, says the delays are an attempt to make a much harsher policy. 'The reality is that there are already work requirements,' said O'Shea."